- Working as a consultant nephrologist at Imperial College Healthcare NHS trust since 1995.
- Extensive experience in managing all aspects of kidney disease but has a particular interest in relation to the management of diabetes in the context of kidney disease.
- Maintained a significant research interest in relation to diabetes and kidney, both in terms of how diabetes affects the kidneys leading to deterioration in kidney function, but also in relation to how the presence of kidney disease influences the management of diabetes.
- Published in relation to assessment of renal complications in people with diabetes and obesity.
- Has played a significant role in the development of UK national guidelines on the management of diabetes in the context of kidney disease.
- Joint editor of the UK Kidney Association guidelines on the use of SGLT2I in adults with chronic kidney disease
- Educational leader supporting the next generation of doctors, having been the director Imperial’s Foundation School from its inception to 2010, London lead for Foundation Training 2010 to 2013 and Postgraduate Dean for South London from 2013 and 2018.